HILTON HEAD, SOUTH CAROLINA
|Hilton Head, South Carolina|
|Baynard Plantation Ruins, Harbour Town, Hilton Head, South Carolina|
2. Make sure the hotel has a pool in case the beach experience gets crowded, a guarantee. Also, after the ocean area has closed, a nighttime dip can be refreshing.
|Red Roof Inn, Hilton Head, South Carolina|
3. Get used to William Hilton Parkway, a major thoroughfare for the island. A car is definitely required if one wants to take advantage of the sights. For those who would be flying in, I would recommend staying at a beach front resort if you don't rent a car.
4. Bicycling around the island is also a great option. The flat terrain, bike lanes and bike racks almost command you to park the car for your entire stay. You can bring your own or rent one.
|Bicycling around Harbour Town, Hilton Head, South Carolina|
5. If you're a golfer, you're in absolute heaven. If you just want to sit on the beach, you could do that, too, until it rains. If you want to eat, there are all types of options from fine dining to Dunkin' Donuts. If you want to get in shape, you can jog or bike ride around US 278 for miles.
6. The relaxing ambience of the island is due to the low-key physical appearance. Town ordinances specify how construction is done resulting in the entire island looking like it was decorated by the same interior designer in varying shades of sage and taupe. Also, some buildings are behind trees to preserve the forest look of the island.
|Harbour Town Lighthouse|
|Always plan for inclement weather when staying near the shore. Hilton Head, South Carolina, Coligny Beach Park.|
8. As ritzy as the place is, one might be surprised to learn it is actually the home to descendants of slaves and those of Gullah background who stayed after the Civil War. The island celebrates its place in U.S. history and you can visit relics of a plantation on the Sea Pines Resort (Stoney-Baynard Plantation). You can pay for a day pass to explore Sea Pines.
|Stoney-Baynard Plantation, Sea Pines Resort, Hilton Head, So. Carolina.|
9. If you want Vegas-y style nightlife or a noisy, lit up Time Square-like boardwalk, this is not for you. Hilton Head is a place to relax, retreat, get in some recreation and to refresh. Go on down, it just might do you some good.
10. No vacation area would be incomplete without shopping. There are the charming boutiques, an actual Piggly-Wiggly and outlets in Bluffton.
Click the social media icons to share. Spread the word. Happy Travels.
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Tumblr. Purchase our fine art, decor or stock photos on Shutterstock, ImageKind, mcraytonphoto.com, iStock by Getty Images , and Dreamstime.
Copyright Disclaimer under section 107 if the copyright act of 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use.