1. Smartphone: today's mobile phones are nothing short of modern technology gone wild. All you have to do is make a wish and an app will grant it. Smartphones can: record/edit a photo, video, voice memo; take notes; receive emails (with your confirmations for hotel reservations, flights or tickets); be used to take a picture of your parking space (!); contain books, play television shows, music or movies, catch up on the news; be a GPS device, entertain your toddler and more. Invest in a shockproof/waterproof case and you are good to go.
2. Tablets: So, if smartphones can do all that, why carry a tablet? I can't answer for everyone, but for me, it's for a few reasons: books, movies and games on a larger screen. A PDF app will hold my travel confirmations. With Apple products, you can AirDrop your photos and videos from your phone to your iPad and back up your data.
3. Cameras: I still see many people carrying cameras on vacation. If you are into better quality photos and videos, especially if you’re a blogger, invest in a lightweight but high quality camera. As a photographer, I own a few cameras but if you only carry one, I recommend a waterproof photo camera, great for all scenarios. Buy several media cards for back-up.
4. For road trips, laptop: For heavy duty operations, the laptop beats all. Of course, this is not what you take on day trips. But, when you return to the hotel room, hook up the gadgets and download your data. Invest in an external hard drive and you won't run out of space and you'll back up that precious information.
5. Multiple charger: To minimize space and weight, use a multiple charger with many ports. At least one port should have enough amps for the full size tablet (very important!!). Check to see that your device's charging system is not proprietary (meaning that you have to carry its specific cord and charger).
6. Mesh storage bags and cord keepers: To get on the plane easier and to make life organized, carry mesh bags: for the cords and for the charger(s).
Copyright Disclaimer under section 107 if the copyright act of 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use.
This article is my personal opinion. I am a travel agent. I am an Amazon Associate.
All text and photos copyright Marcia Crayton All Rights Reserved 2023
Follow us on